Takata Airbag Recall
There is an urgent safety recall regarding faulty Takata airbag inflators in 1996 – 2016 Honda and Acura vehicles, worldwide.
Overtime, high temperatures and humidity affects the proper functionality of an airbag inflator. In the event of an airbag deployment, the airbag inflator may rupture. Sharp metal fragments from the airbag explosions have severely injured and killed vehicle occupants.
If you or someone you know owns a Honda or Acura, 1996 - 2016 model, please take action on determining if the vehicle is affected, following the video & steps below.
CHECK IF YOUR HONDA OR ACURA IS AFFECTED
To check whether your vehicle is affected, firstly locate the VIN or chassis number in your vehicle. This can also be found on your vehicles licensing or insurance documents or in one of the following locations;
- Base of the windshield on the driver's side
- Near the left side door jamb
- Under the hood
Once you have located your VIN, select the button below (CHECK MY VEHICLE VIN) and input your VIN on the hondacayman.com website. This will check for all recalls associated with your vehicle. If you are affected, please return to the Car City Cayman website and contact us immediately.
- How do I know if my car is impacted?
- Check your vehicle identification number (VIN) via the button above or at hondacayman.com/recalls
- What should I do if my vehicle is impacted?
- Immediately email email@example.com or call our service department at (345) 949 5525 to schedule an appointment.
- Why does heat and humidity affect my airbag?
- After further testing it has been determined that the ammonium nitrate propellant used in the Takata airbag inflators cannot absorb moisture thus degrade over time, especially when exposed to high heat and humidity.
- What is an inflator? I thought that these recalls were for the airbags?
- The inflator is a device inside the airbag that contains a propellant that inflates the airbag in the event of a collision.
- Is there any way to know when my vehicle’s airbag inflator is close to a rupture before it occurs?
- No. To ensure you vehicle is not affected, check your vehicle identification number (VIN) at hondacayman.com/recalls
- Is there anything I can do before the inflator is replaced to make it less likely to rupture?
- No. All safety recalls are serious, and any owner of a vehicle affected by any recall should make arrangements to have it repaired as soon as possible.
- Can I have my neighborhood mechanic replace the airbag inflator?
- No, only an authorized Honda dealer (Car City Cayman) can perform the repair for this recall. Repair at Car City Cayman is FREE, we are experienced in making the appropriate repair and have access to approved replacement parts.
- Will I incur any costs to replace my airbag inflator?
- No, Car City will replace any defective airbags, completely free of charge.
If your vehicle is affected by this urgent safety recall, please contact us immediately.
Phone: (345) 949 5525
Click the 'Contact Us Now' link below.