Automotive Service Advisor
Job Title: Automotive Service Advisor
Reports To: Service Manager
- Advises customers about necessary service for routine maintenance.
- Helps identify a mechanical problem by questioning the customer or doing a visual inspection or road test.
- Confers with customers about inspection results, recommend corrective procedures and prepare work order for needed repairs.
- Prepares a repair order showing time, cost and labor estimates for service.
- Writes a brief description of the customer’s concern on the repair order to help the technician locate the problem.
- Explains the work performed and the repair order charges to the customer.
- Handles customer complaints.
- Schedules service appointments.
- Obtains customer and vehicle data prior to arrival when possible.
- Greets customers in a timely, friendly manner and obtains vehicle information.
- Test drives the vehicle with customer as needed to confirm the problem or refer to test technician.
- Refers to service history, inspects vehicle, and recommends additional needed service.
- Advises customers on the care of their cars and the value of maintaining their vehicles in accordance with manufacturers' specifications.
- Provides a complete and accurate written cost estimate for labor and parts.
- Establishes “promised time.” Checks with dispatcher, if necessary.
- Obtains customer's signature on repair order; provides customer with a copy.
- Establishes customer's method of payment. Obtains credit approval, if necessary.
- Notifies dispatcher of incoming work.
- Checks on progress of repair throughout the day. Contacts customers regarding any changes in the estimate or promised time, explains cost and time requirements in detail, and gets proper authorization before any additional repairs are performed.
- Implements and maintains a service marketing program.
- Reviews repair orders to ensure that work is completed, and additional work and authorization is noted. Closes repair order as appropriate.
- Ensures that vehicles are parked in assigned areas. Makes sure they are locked, and all keys are marked and put away correctly.
- Keeps service department forms, menus and pricing guides up to date.
- Implements a quality control process to eliminate comebacks.
- Maintains high customer satisfaction standards.
- Handles telephone inquiries regarding appointments and work in process.
- Inspects all vehicles for body work, informs customer if work is needed and provides an estimate for body work.
- Maintains a professional appearance.
- Keeps work area clean.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Excellent ability to read, comprehend, write, and speak English.
- Ability to perform intermediate math.
- Ability to handle cash and credit card transactions.
- Ability to work independently and be self-motivated within the framework of a team.
- Positive interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic.
- Ability to display initiative, work with limited supervision and follow instructions within the framework of a team.
- Ability to timely multitask while working in a fast pace environment.
- Exhibit excellent attention to detail and commitment.
- Ability to lift up to 50lbs.
- Ability to work with diverse cultures and teams in a friendly, productive manner.
- Must be able to multitask while working in a fast-paced environment.
- Computer competency required at an intermediate level or higher.
- Strong knowledge of vehicle parts on all system and components in order to communicate with international suppliers and find new opportunities by spotting trends in the market.
- Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certifications
- Manufacturer Training
- Valid Driver's License
- Associate degree (A.A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one-year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
When starting with Car City as an Automotive Service Advisor, you’ll start earning between $28,000.00 and $41,000.00 annually. As you progress with the company within this role, opportunities for a pay increase will be determined through annual evaluations.